Hey, I'm Roland. I'm 31 years old, currently living in Budapest, Hungary.
I created my first webpage in 2006 using a CMS called e107. There was one pre-made template I liked so much I would keep customizing it for different websites.
Today, I'm a senior designer of Retalk.com, responsible for creating and maintaining the website that serves over a hundred-thousand people worldwide.
The reason I love the web so much is that it continuously keeps me learning, as new technologies and methods keep popping up. There's never been a period in my career when I thought my job was boring. Nowadays I'm crazy about web performance, accessibility, and the JAMstack.
In my free time, I play computer- and board games, take loads of photos with my camera, translate useful stuff to my native language, and read books on how to be a better person.
What does a Frontend Designer do, anyway?
Glad you asked! To my mom, I make websites. To everyone else, I'm a web professional with a very specific skillset in the labyrinthian realm of modern frontend development. Here's the nitty-gritty:
Fields of Expertise
- I am highly skilled at HTML and CSS. I hand-write semantic, reusable and overall beautiful code. My main focus is performance and accessibility.
- I design websites and user interfaces. I am highly proficient in the principles of web design, typography and color theory. My designs are more functional than artistic.
Other than that…
- I have a solid grasp on user experience principles and best practices, but I don't conduct user surveys or do research.
- I am familiar with key aspects of graphic design and how to incorporate it into web design, but I don't create hand-made illustrations or custom graphics.
- I understand the importance of backend development and I can confidently work with templating systems, but I don't write backend logic (PHP, Python, C++, etc.) or fiddle with server-related stuff.
- I know the onsite principles and best practices of search engine optimization, but I don't do offsite SEO, such as link building or guest posting.
- I can create Wordpress themes from scratch and customize existing ones. I can comfortably work with The Loop, custom post types and custom page templates. However, I don't fiddle with more advanced Wordpress functions, and I don't do Wordpress plugin development.
Junior Web Developer
The Pulilab, 2012
Higher Click, 2013—2014
Buffered VPN, 2015—2018
About Me FAQ
Do you use any coding frameworks?
No, I don't. I pride myself in hand-crafting every line of my code and not relying on third party, often bloated frameworks. I have my own simple, tried-and-tested grid system (~4 kB) that I use for my early layouts, but other than that, I hand-craft every component and page layout for each project.
Will you work for me full-time?
No, I won't. I am currently in a full-time commitment with Retalk.com, and I have no intention of leaving anytime soon. However, if you're satisfied with my work, I can certainly continue working with you on any other projects you may have.